Togo is a narrow strip of land on Africa’s west coast and has for years been the target of criticism over its human rights record and political governance.
Granted independence from France in 1960, Togo has struggled to build a stable country and economy.
The Togolese Republic
- Capital Lome
- Population 6 million
- Area 56,785 sq km (21,925 sq miles)
- Languages French (official), local languages
- Major religions Indigenous beliefs, Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy 59 years (men), 61 years (women)
- Currency CFA (Communaute Financiere Africaine) franc
(Source: BBC Website)